Know the Roles & Responsibilities of a Scrum Master
A company can develop a flawless product lifecycle by using SCRUM methodologies that involve a reiterative set of procedures for both testing and development. This will help them to meet deadlines faster and to see to it that the ongoing project is in line with the objectives of the company, a Scrum Master is appointed as the leader of the development team.
What does a Scrum Master do?
Though a Scrum Master handles a key position in an organization, he never participates in creating strategies or ideas. He works more like a project manager by acting as an intermediary between the owner of the business and the development team.
Processes that run on Agile principles require a lot of teamwork and collaboration and it is the Scrum Master who has to ensure that everyone is connected and working within the scope of the project.
Therefore, he needs to possess both technical expertise and the soft skills required to explain the technical and organizational challenges that the team has to face and avoid. It is his job to bring a sense of accountability into every team member which will ultimately help them to conquer critical deadlines.
Let us discuss the job roles and responsibilities of a Scrum Master in detail now:
Managing projects by implementing best practices
- At the onset of a project, a Scrum Master has to get everyone he requires for getting the work done onboard.
- After that, he has to classify them into teams, assign responsibilities, and make them aware of the organization’s culture and values so that they get integrated completely in the organization.
- Once the work has started, he needs to observe the progress of work and give his feedback and opinions wherever it is necessary. Also, he needs to create a culture of learning and encourage critical thinking.
- Apart from that, he also needs to act as a medium of information exchange between his team and the external parties involved in the project and vice versa.
Keeping everyone well-informed
- One of the primary duties of a Scrum Master is to ensure that everyone is on their toes. This not only includes the members of the team but also the stakeholders.
- For that, he has to organize team meetings daily to get updates about the achieved targets and the hindrances faced by the members. This ensures that the work of the project is being carried out on the right path.
- The Scrum Master also has to share these updates with the stakeholders of the project to let them know about the challenges they are facing and the targets they have achieved so far.
- All these efforts should ultimately help the team to meet deadlines along with the outcome that is desired from the assigned project.
Implementing Agile Practices
- A Scrum Master not only has to introduce Agile engineering methodologies in the organization but he must also see to it those methodologies and practices are being implemented in the best possible ways.
- For example, Scrum Masters can introduce CI (Continuous Integration) in the development cycle of a product or project along with automation to facilitate easy testing and modification of code (if necessary).
- For ensuring this, they can introduce CI tools that will help the developers to upload chunks of code in the code repository consistently that will be tested and build quickly in an interactive manner with the help of automation.
- The iterative tests and checks will help the team to reduce the time and effort and managing risks will become easier as the errors that get introduced in the first build will be removed in the successive builds seamlessly.
- They can also introduce the practice of pair programming which will enable two developers to work on the same code in real-time. Their collaborative effort will save time and enhance the overall architecture and final quality of the developed product.
Roles of a Scrum Master
Let’s discuss the roles of a Scrum Master concerning his association with his team, product owner, and the organization as a whole:
- Supporting product owner by finding methods to handle the backlog of the product
- Communicating the owner’s ideas and wishes with the team
- Hosting Scrum events whenever necessary
- Being the team leader of the development team to help them adapt Scrum methodologies
- Planning and implementing Scrum methodologies
- Bringing changes in the processes to enhance the overall productivity
- Collaborating with different Scrum Masters to bring more efficiency in the methodologies
- Removing roadblocks that can hamper the team’s performance and productivity
- Assisting the team in creating high-quality products that bring value to the user
- Organizing Scrum meetings and events as per the requirement
- Making the team understand and adapt the Scrum methodologies completely
For managing all the aforementioned duties, roles, and responsibilities, a Scrum Master needs to acquire the technical skills or knowledge that will help him to address the hindrances and challenges that his team might face while working on a project.
He must work patiently with the team by giving them enough time and space to find solutions for different issues. The key lies in collaborating with all the parties and stakeholders associated with a given project and being transparent enough to set the goals and agendas clearly before the team.
Be a Certified Scrum Master in just two days, book your slot now, visit: https://syncitlearning.com/csm-training/