To overcome the ever-growing challenges and complexities faced by industries, the PMI (Project Management Institute) designed the PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification. This certification is considered to be the gold standard in the field of project management and is therefore in great demand across all sectors.

To become a successful PMP, you need to focus on the below steps:

pmp certification

1st Step – Start with the Handbook

If you aspire to become a Project Management Professional (PMP), then you must start by reading the PMP Handbook as it will provide answers to all your queries related to the PMP exam and procedures that need to be followed for applying for this exam. This handbook contains all the details that you will need to obtain the PMP certificate.

2nd Step – Check your eligibility

Before applying for the PMP Certification Course, you must check whether you are eligible for it or not. If you hold an associate degree, high school diploma, or any other equivalent degree then you must have 5 years of project management experience which must include a minimum of 7500 hours of experience in leading projects.

If you hold a bachelor’s degree or any other equivalent degree then you must possess experience of 3 years in managing projects that must include at least 4500 hours of experience as a project leader.

Apart from these credentials, you must also acquire training in project management (35 contact hours) in both the above scenarios.

3rd Step – Perks of being a PMI Member

After obtaining the membership of PMI, you also get the PMBOK Guide (PDF File) for free. Apart from that, you also get a good discount on the PMP exam fees.

Moreover, you will also get to interact with senior and new PMPs and their experience might help you to clear the PMP exam in the very first attempt!

4th Step – Schedule your PMP Exam

Once you become a PMI member, it is better to apply for the PMP certification at the earliest because a set deadline will motivate you to prepare for the exam. For that, you will have to register with any institute that provides this course, fill the application form, and submit it to the PMI.

Once you get an approval from the PMI, you will be able to schedule your PMP exam through the Prometic portal.

5th Step – Go through the PMBOK Guide carefully

The PMBOK Guide is your key to clear the exam as it contains the answers for most of the questions that are asked in the PMP test. Therefore, you must cover each section of this guide carefully and use it as a reference book.

6th Step – Find some other study material

You will cover around 75% of the questions from the PMBOK Guide but for the rest of 25%, you will have to go through many study materials or online courses. These study materials can be downloaded from different websites via the internet.

Also, you can take up some online courses like PM PrepCast that not only provide insights on various knowledge areas of project management but also help you to earn the 35 hours contact training program required to be eligible for appearing for the PMP exam.

7th Step – Participate in PMP Workshops

PMP Workshops are held by training institutes, PMI Chapters, and universities of different parts of the globe. You can participate in these workshops to engage with fellow candidates and tutors which will ultimately clear all your doubts regarding this exam.

8th Step – Take up mock tests & sample questions

You will find several websites on the internet that provide mock tests containing sample questions of the previous year’s PMP exam.

These questions are quite similar to those that are asked in a real exam and they also prepare you mentally for the PMP exam. Moreover, you can also verify your preparedness for the exam by taking these mock tests.

9th Step – Clear the exam

After following all these steps properly, you would feel confident enough to clear the PMP exam. Therefore, you can schedule the exam and appear for either an online test on a center-based exam.

PMI has also introduced the OPT (Online Proctor Test) to enable the candidates to clear the PMP exam from the comfort of their offices and homes.

Parting words….

To commence your career in project management, you must avail of the PMP Certification as it makes you competent and skilled enough to work on various projects at both the national and international levels. You will understand the global language that is spoken by professionals who are working in project management and the association of industry experts will help you to achieve significant growth in your career.